Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simply Christian

I was asked what doctrine I follow. I must be honest and say, I don't necessarily follow a doctrine. I believe in certain things, absolutely, though I am not a religious person. Actually, I could say I have no religion. 

I am Christian. 
I am very spiritual. 
I was raised Lutheran, though I currently do not claim any denomination. 

What 'Christian' means to me: 
I confess Jesus Christ as my Savior, The One True Messiah. 
I believe in Jesus Christ’s sacrifice to absolve me of my sin, granting me the gift of eternal life. 
I believe in living in faith and choosing to be a child of God.
I believe in repenting my sins and asking for forgiveness. 

I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior, The One True Messiah.

John 14:5-14
5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my won. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
~~~

I believe in Christ’s sacrifice for the purpose of saving me from my sins, giving the ultimate in gifts: eternal life with my Maker, beyond this physical world, and the physical death to come.

John 10:27-30
27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
~~~

I also rely heavily on living in Faith. 
It is through faith that I am able to continue trusting in God’s promise, the greatest of which is eternal life through the acceptance of Jesus as my savior.

Hebrews 11:1-2
1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
(The remaining chapter lists the ancients and how they lived by faith.)
~~~

And, I believe in repenting my sins to the Holy Father. 
Through the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus Christ, I have been wiped clean in the eyes of God. 
But it is my duty to continue to ask for forgiveness, so that this gift is not in vain. I must be washed clean over and over again because I will sin until the day I die.  

Jesus said:
32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” ~ Luke 5:32

Paul said:
21 I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. ~ Acts 20:21

Peter said:
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. ~ 2 Peter 3:9
~~~

By repenting I am putting my faith and my trust into Christ’s hands. I am choosing to be a child of God; therefore, He is my heavenly Father. 
I have been spiritually born into the house of God.

John 1:6-13
6 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

John 3:3-8
3 In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.”
4 “How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
~~~

I accept Jesus Christ, knowing he resides within my heart - my lifeline to God (sometimes I forget to call on this). 

I live God, praying to be more like Him, my God given self (I'll be honest, sometimes the truth of what He has shown me is overwhelming). 

I believe in the Word: the Bible a cherished heirloom (though, I know I do not use it as much as I should). 

I walk through life on the wings of faith, trusting in God's promises (but, yes, I still have moments of weakness). 

I strive to live the path God has set before me, and actively move towards working for God, using Jesus as my example (this is not easy, and I stumble...a lot. I am constantly asking to be corrected). 

I pray for forgiveness of my sinful ways, including those that are seemingly insignificant. And if I am unable to recognize any of my sins, I ask God to show them to me (though, this hurts, I want to believe I am not sinning, but alas, I do). 

I do not want anything to keep me from hearing, feeling, knowing God (even though I am constantly getting in His way). 

Growth is inevitable - and I accept it! I pray for it! And it is a constant struggle in my humanness...but I will move through this life knowing that I have a wonderful and loving God, choosing to seek sanctuary in His vast arms, where no harm can come to me...

I just have to be willing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment