Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Lord's Prayer

If ever you find yourself in a place where words to pray escape you, remember the Lord's Prayer. This is given to us by Jesus, found in the new testament:

~ Luke 11:2-4 ~
Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. 
Give us each day our daily bread. 
Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. 
And lead us not into temptation. 


The version I grew up with goes like this: 

Our Father, 
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name. 
Thy kingdom come, 
thy will be done, 
on earth as it is in heaven. 
Give us this day our daily bread, 
and forgive us our trespasses, 
as we forgive those who trespass against us. 
And lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from evil. 
For thine is the kingdom, 
and the power, 
and the glory. 
Forever and ever. 
Amen

I am thankful for such a prayer. There are time where so much seems to be happening, and I have no idea in what direction to pray. I rely on this God given prayer to cover all needs; especially God's will. I believe in the words of this prayer. 

Our Father, in heaven, is HOLY. This is His kingdom, and I pray for His will to be done. Since we have free will on earth, I pray that He is invited to practice His will here, with us, the same way He carries out His will in heaven. I pray for my daily needs to be met: food, shelter, clothing. I want for nothing, for I believe God will provide my family's necessities (though, I have my weak moments). I ask for forgiveness (for my trespasses), because I am human, and I sin -- daily. We all do. But in order for God to forgive me, I must forgive my fellow brothers and sisters. I ask for God to lead me, so that I may not fall into tempting scenarios that are not aligned with what is best for me: God's will. And, by being led by God, I hope to be delivered by God from evil. And, since the kingdom belongs to God (He created the universe and all that is in it), He alone has the power over the kingdom; therefore, all glory belongs to Him. For eternity. How I can give God glory, is by praising Him for the blessings I have received from Him. One way I can praise Him is by thanking Him (regardless of how small a thing -- ex., thanks for the sunshine today). In closing, I say, so shall it be done (Amen). 

I pray that even when we are lost, and cannot find our way, that this prayer is brought to us in our time of need. May these words never escape us, so that we may continue to invite God into our lives, as He sees fit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment